Thursday 19 April 2007

Welcome to a place for Photoshoppers

Seeing as this is a "statement of our aims" manifesto, I will cut to the chase. What I want to do here is deliver the sort of Photoshop tutorials that I wanted to get to when I was starting out. Most of us don't have the money to shell out for the fabulous, but expensive Total training videos and the majority of free video tutorials is pretty dreadful. So here I am. (Dramatic pause for a moment of reflection....OK, that will do.) I've been in the training game with Photoshop all the way back to version 3, got my Adobe certifications, blah, blah, blah, so I think I have learned a thing or two about both Photoshop and its users. The most interesting things are;

You only want to know how to do VERY specific things
For most of you, learning the basics is about as attractive as a haemorrhoid
Reading long explanations doesn't turn you on

So, video demos of the things that you REALLY want to know seems to be the answer. High quality Quicktime films is the delivery method here, so make sure that you have it installed before you try running any of the tutorials. There are links to install Quicktime from the tutorial index or any of the tutorial pages. Because I want to get your input for all of this, so cometh this blog. To start, the initial collection of tutorials is focused on photography skills. Correction for bad lighting, color, cosmetic retouching are all covered in varying levels of depth to suit different tastes. Naturally the collection will be growing, with your help to give it some direction. Welcome aboard. This should be an interesting ride.
- Ashley

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't get much better than Total Training. Their prices are actually dropping...

Moore Almanac & Adventures said...

I've just found your site - I love it! You give clear instructions & details, and it's easy to follow your quicktime movies. I have just scanned a passle of old, old family photos, and with your help, I hope to clean them up so I can share them with the rest of the family. I hope you keep it up - I have a lot to learn. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I am online so much I have basically become a diplomat for the Internet.

As a representative for the Internet, I can officially announce that your tutorials are awesome. They are among the best of the many and varied free PS tutorials which can be found online.

Why? Not only is the host exceptionally skilled in PS, but his explanations perfectly coincide with his movements on screen; at the same time they are not so rehearsed as to make the movies feel cheesy.

I've finished watching all of your tutorials, and though I've been heavily using PS for over 3 years now, I managed to learn at least one valuable tip from each one. I find this amazing. And, being the internet, I do not amaze easily.

Fine work. You could easily charge for the quality of teaching you provide here for free.

The only problem now is that you don't have enough tutorials. My suggestion? After adding a typography and pen tool section, start adding "effects" tutorials which show some various special effects PS can do.

Looking forward to that new "selection" tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Thank You so much for sharing your knowledge with us. I have been trying to learn Photoshop for the last 2 years. I still have alot to learn. Your tutorials have taught me alot of things that I didn't know. I look forward to the Selection tutorials coming soon.

Unknown said...

I am new to PS and your videos are excellent. Easy and entertaining to follow and you get the tools too make not so good pictures look more the way you remember it :-). Very, very helpful! Thanks alot.

Anonymous said...

This site is fantastic! I could not imagine that retouching photos could be this easy. (I studied Media and Communications for 4 years and I never learned this much in my school.)

Please do keep up the good work, I'm expecting to learn a lot more from these tutorials. :)

-Lilli

Unknown said...

I've been tinkering with PS for years. Your tutorials make me want to take everything I shoot into production. The quicktime movies are awesome quality and highly entertaining. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Excellent tutorials....love them. However, I'm completely new to Photoshop and as, like everything else, my specialty always seems to be putting the cart in front of the horse, I'm at a bit of a loss for the more "basic" stuff...the beginner level Photoshop 101.
I have the option of joining a 10 week (one evening -3hr per week for 10 wks --- snore (?!?)) "Accelerated Photoshop" class (@ $500.00) OR... getting private tutoring through a local college for $30.00/hour.
As I see it, I could just die of boredom patiently waiting for my weekly sessions, hoping students won't delay the classes with questions on how to cut & paste or saving files & eating into valuable class time ... OR... I'll potentially be missing out on "something" going the private route.
I'd love to get your feedback on this, as I'm a little baffled about how to start sinking my teeth into this Photoshop thing(yes...I am a controlling perfectionist...)! If you might have any other "ideas" for other good approaches, I'd love to hear those too! Many thanks ! Montreal,Canada

Ashley Riddell said...

@The Canary.. I need your email address if I am going to be getting in touch with you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Riddell!
Just sent you an email. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

your site r0cks!! I am a graduate from the Art Institute of Seattle in 3d animation, I learned a lot of things about photoshop in the 2 years I spent there, basics. I found out that I enjoy editiong pictures a lot too and I want to be good at it, now that I found your site I think I can do it! Your videos are great!! I thank you very much, Gracias...

Miguel Angel-Lopez

Anonymous said...

An incredible site - have used photoshop over 15 years - still something new to learn each day!

Thank you for your massive (and free) contribution to the masses

Unknown said...

Great tutorials and website!! But i notice quite a few older quicktime movies are missing. Is it possible to get them back online again?
Thanks once again!

Anonymous said...

You are probably the kindest person I have ever seen on the internet!

Thank you!